Fiction Writing Course - Writing Lessons
Write what you love, and you'll love to write!
I enjoy writing and have had this course in the back of my mind for a long time. I hope to encourage and inform aspiring fiction writers by passing on information and techniques I've learned since 2008 when I began writing and self-publishing my Sonrise Stable series of books.
Although my books are Christian and about horses, good writing techniques are the same regardless of your subject matter. I won't be forcing anyone to write horse stories. In fact, I encourage students to write about what they love!
This includes the complete course, consisting of all the videos and associated pdf files.
There are other fiction writing courses for homeschoolers that are hundreds of dollars. Does the price of this course mean it is lower in quality?
As the developer of the course, I don't think so. :)
There's a lot of information packed into this course. I was a homeschool mom myself (for 17 years). I understand that sometimes finances are tight. I hope to keep all my courses reasonably priced to help the homeschool community.
The price does not include evaluation of course assignments.
What makes my course unique?
- Wholesome and family friendly content! I can't count how many times I've seen vulgar things held up as examples of good writing in books/courses I've studied in my own writing journey. You'll find none of that in this course.
- Examples are taken from my own books or wholesome fiction such as Black Beauty, Anne of Green Gables, A Christmas Carol, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe.
- Encouraging and inspiring quotes from other authors reinforce the lessons.
- Videos covering software tools that make the writing process easier.
- An entire section is devoted to writing Christian fiction.
- Students may approach the course in a variety of ways - whatever suits your learning style and current writing ability.
- Comprehensive coverage includes how to get ideas, structuring the story, development of characters and other story elements, editing and revising, printing a book, and an overview of the self publishing process
Age Level: Jr. High to Adult. The course is best for students who enjoy writing and want to learn how to improve. It's inspiring and informative, but probably not "entertaining" enough for anyone who doesn't like to write. (Parents, if you desire to write, I think you'll enjoy the course as well - work through it with your kids and you'll all benefit!)
The complete course outline is pretty long, so I've included it as a PDF rather than listing everything on this page. Watch the sample videos as well to get an idea of what the contains.
The Writing Lessons Course includes these sections:
- Course Overview
- Story Elements
- Nuts and Bolts
- The Bigger Picture
- Feedback, Revisions, and Editing
- Software Tools for Editing
- Christian Considerations
- Thoughts on Writing for Children and Writing a Series
- Thoughts on Publishing
- The Compost Heap
- Questions and Answers - Students/parents may submit questions regarding the course. I'll post those questions and answers in this section.
- Feedback/Critiques - While I can't evaluate every student's work, periodically (once or twice a month), I'll post a critique of a chapter from one of the students. This is free and will be provided as a video for all students in the course to view.
Conflict? Is it Necessary?