Misty of Chincoteague Interactive
Learn about the annual Chincoteague pony roundup, pony swim, foal auction, and the "wild" Assateague ponies in this course on the best-selling book by Marguerite Henry, Misty of Chincoteague.
Students may use any unabridged copy of Misty of Chincoteague.
Complete Course Outline, Registration, and Login
- 18 Commentary videos (one for each chapter of the book)
- 7 bonus videos on the author, illustrator, movie comparison, real family behind the characters, the pony penning event, and the Assateague ponies
- Suggested Approach and Course Checklist (PDF)
- 9 Self-correcting online quizzes (one every 2 chapters)
- 9 Downloadable print versions of those quizzes
- 1 Comprehensive Final Test/Quiz
- 9-page PDF containing questions for discussion or writing
For each chapter of the book, I'll provide comments and explanations for anything that may be unclear to readers, expanding on the horse information, history, and geography of the Chincoteague and Assateague Islands.
Ages: This course will be suitable for any students who can read the book. The suggested age range for the book is 8 to 12 years. You'd have to be a pretty fluent reader to tackle the book at 8, but entirely possible for some kids. And I'd guess the interest level might go a few years beyond 12.
Test your knowledge of Misty of Chincoteague by taking this online quiz, covering the first two chapters of the book.
Misty of Chincoteague Online Quiz
Preview videos of chapters 1, 2, and 6.
I'm excited about being able to offer the quizzing aspect of these courses. There are a variety of question types: multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, drag and drop, hotspot, and a few more. The quiz questions cover aspects of the novel as well as the additional horse information provided in the course.
- The online quiz questions are selected in random order, so a slightly different quiz will be given each time.
- You can print out a page showing the score and results at the end of each online quiz if you'd like that for record-keeping.
- Students in the course will have access to a downloadable PDF for each quiz. Answer keys are included.
Introduction to the Course
Overview of what the course includes.